How to clean up Christmas the right way
New Years has come and gone and you are probably in the middle of taking down your Christmas decor. The best way to tackle this chore is to do it in a way that will give you a smooth opening the following year. You want to make sure you know where everything is and you can get to it easily. Here are some steps to help you tackle this chore to make it less painful and to keep your home as tidy as possible in the process.
Ten Tips to Help You Clean Up the Christmas Clutter
- Don’t start unless you can devote a block of time to “UNDECORATING”. You don’t have to finish the task, but try to set aside a decent amount of time to devote toward this and work on it until you find a good stopping point.
- You will want to organize well. You don’t want to throw stuff in any old way because it will be a mess next year when you pull it out.
- Never go upstairs/downstairs without carrying something up. There are so many boxes, lanterns, tree pieces etc…. that you need to put in storage that every time you pass by you need to carry something up/down. This will help in the long run when it’s actually time to put the boxes away.
- Store your decorations that are similar to each other in the same room. They are easier to sort that way so you know which tubs to take to what room. This will make the final packing go faster.
- Keep up with daily tasks like dishes, laundry etc… or you will become so overwhelmed and the house will start to look very untidy with all the extra clutter.
- Ask for help. Your family can help you carry your trees and tubs back to your storage area. I have a hard time asking for help so I could listen to my own advice on this one.
- Get rid of your trash from Christmas. Any wrapping paper, boxes, or bags that you’re not going to keep need to be thrown away immediately.
- Sort items that need to be taken back to the store and put away gifts that you are going to keep. This will drastically change the look of your house. Once everything has its own place in your house then your home will start to look back to normal.
- Put your storage away with next year in mind. If you know you’re not going to use your red and silver ornaments next year, then put those ornaments in the back and on the bottom. This will help when you are getting out your ornaments and decor next year. You will be able to get your front boxes off the top. WIN!
- BE PATIENT! It took me 3 weeks to finish my Christmas decorating so it will take me some time to take it down. I need to remember that and give myself a little slack when trying to take down and organize everything.
I hope these tips were helpful. I enjoy Christmas, but I do like getting everything back in order and getting back on a schedule. Happy “undecorating” and Happy New Year.