March is here and you know what that means. It’s time to go through your house and spring clean. I actually started this early this year as I had a lot of
stuff “junk” that I needed to clean up, donate, or sell. When you live in a house for more than 5 years I feel like you really start to accumulate way too much stuff. So let’s spring clean and figure out where to begin.
Spring Cleaning Tips
Start off with a big project to get you going – I began in August when my daughter left for college. When she left, my son decided he was taking her room (which is a second master suite) and she would move into one of the smaller rooms. This meant we would be packing up two of the rooms in the house and switching them. So we went through everything. All the clothes, closet items, and everything in both rooms. This was a huge job, but we had a goal and a purpose so it made it a little easier to deal with. My son was happy with his room once it was put back together. My daughter was not as happy with her smaller room, but she was very happy to be off at college. With one major project marked off my list, I was feeling pretty productive and ready to keep going on my list.
Set aside a “working weekend” for the whole family. You can get so much more done with 4 or 5 people than you can by yourself. Every 6 weeks or a time frame of your choice, set aside a “working weekend.” Let the family members know at the beginning of the week that this weekend you will set aside a certain amount of time on Saturday and Sunday to work on the the house clearing out clutter. Have a list planned ahead of time for them to do on their own and some things to do with the group as a whole. They need to have both kinds of tasks so that you don’t have to guide them at every tasks so you can get some work done too. Things will go a lot smoother that way.
Continue to declutter as you have time. Choose smaller tasks to do on your busier days. Cleaning out a junk drawer or your pantry are all things that need to be done. Sometimes these tasks may take as little as 15 minutes. You can choose to do these things on days where you don’t have big blocks of time to set aside, but you still want to get something accomplished. All of it needs to get done so use your time wisely.
Make sure items get out of the house immediately. Once you have sorted your items as donation, trash, or sell make sure you take them to the appropriate place right away. You have worked so hard to declutter, you don’t want the boxes to stick around taking up room in your house. What a great feeling to get all of this out of your house. What a big difference this will make.
Have a list with your “big picture” goals. What areas do you want to tackle? Make sure you are working in your spare time to get to all the areas you can in a timely manner. Use your bigger blocks of time for the larger projects and do smaller projects as time allows.
I hope you are having some nice spring weather in your area and you are getting motivated to tackle some projects that have been on your mind for too long.
Spring is here guys and the outdoor chores are soon going to be added to our already full plates. I love being outside in that gorgeous weather, but then I have to deal with the pool, and the yard work and all the other things that go along with spring and summer. I bet you guys do a big spring cleaning to get your home and yard ready. If you feel overwhelmed with all this extra work there are several things you can do to fake a clean home.
I decided this year to use my winter months wisely. If you’re like me, You’re kind of cooped up inside and that means you’re looking at everything that needs to be done in the house. I have been organizing my attic and home this winter so when spring comes I could solely focus on all things outdoors (which to me is kind of fun.) We are currently in the process of building an outdoor kitchen and fire pit area and I am so thrilled to be adding these cool entertaining areas to our back yard (more on this in later posts to come).
So lets get into what things you can do to fake a clean house. My daughter just attended her boyfriend’s ring dance and the kids came here to take pictures. Of course I wanted the down stairs to look nice in the areas where they were going to take pictures. So here are some things I did to make sure the house was in great shape.
- MAKE SURE THERE IS NOT CLUTTER- Our desk area in the kitchen is a place where papers and little items seem to congregate. I made sure that each item was either thrown away or was put in its proper place. Don’t just throw things in the drawers because you will then have to take care of them at another time and things just start to pile up.
- USE BASKETS IN YOUR HOME IN HIGH TRAFFIC AREAS-. My kids are older and don’t have toys in our home, but I do have a son that is very into his shoes. So in our mudroom, I have a large basket for the shoes that stay downstairs. It looks so much nicer to have the shoes contained in one place. Everyone can find them easily in the morning and no one is tripping over them in the kitchen anymore.
- USE TRAYS TO ORGANIZE YOUR DECORATIONS- Trays are great for keeping all your decorations together and organized on your ottomans and coffee tables. Plus, there are some really beautiful ones that can really pull your decor and style together. They also limit the amount of things you can place on them so you’re not tempted to over decorate.
- HAVE FRESH FLOWERS PLACED AROUND YOUR HOME- Fresh flowers add so much to a room. They are fragrant and give such a polished elegant look to your home. You can’t go wrong with fresh flowers. For a cheaper option, go with store bought flowers and make your own arrangements.
- LIGHT A CANDLE- When I go into a hotel or someone’s home that smells fresh or of baked goods, I automatically think it is a clean home and I want to spend more time there.
I hope some of these tips can help get you through some of your special events or when someone says they’re stopping by in 30 minutes and you need to straighten your home up quickly. Do you have any tips that could help us? Leave a comment down below and let us know a tip to create a clean house in a jam.