I have been blogging now for over two years and I get asked some questions over and over. I thought it would be fun to answer some of your FAQ in one place. I didn’t know a lot about blogging when I first started. You have to admit it’s not a job that a lot of people really understand so I can relate to people being curious about it.
- How do you keep your white furniture nice with pets and kids? Honestly, when my kids were younger I had darker leather furniture that cleaned up very easily. We don’t eat in the room with white furniture. My kids are old enough now that they know how to take care of the furniture which is nice. However, there are so many options these days with slipcovers you can wash and wonderful fabrics. I think you just have to do your research and be knowledgeable about what you’re buying and for what purpose.
- What camera do you use? I use the Canon Rebel T5I. The very first DSLR I had was a Nikon D60. My son used to play travel baseball and my daughter used to cheer and I took hundreds and hundreds of pictures each weekend of their sports. That camera was very good with the long range lens. I really love my canon for my indoor blogging shots. I have several different lenses that I use according to what project I’m shooting.
- You were a reading specialist. How did you become an interior design blogger? This is the biggest question I get. I guess because the two seem so different. But they are both very creative jobs. I loved teaching and I was quite good at it. I had a Master’s Degree in Reading and taught the lowest performing first grade readers in a program called Reading Recovery. I loved my job. Once my second child was born I only worked one year and that was it for me. I knew I wanted to stay home with my children. But that first year was a hard transition for me at home. The stay at home mom role didn’t just happen easily for me. There was an adjustment period, but I never looked back. When my kids were both in school I enjoyed volunteering at their schools. Then when my son was 10 and daughter was 13, I even tutored SOL students for about 3 years. However, I just didn’t feel this was right for me. Something was missing. I started doing little projects around the house and practicing my photography and finally I merged the two together and decided to start Yours Truly Jenn. I loved it. It was the creative piece that I didn’t even know was missing.
- Where did you get your animal print chairs from in your living room? This room took me 8 months to pull together and the chairs and coffee table were the hardest pieces to find. The chairs came from Horchow. You can find similar ones here. I love them so much. Between the animal print and the leather they really bring a masculine element to the room. If you missed my fall room tour you can check it out here.
- Do you like working from home? People that know me really well know I can’t stand traffic or driving. I hate driving at night too. Skipping a commute is amazing. Whenever I’m out during rush hour I’m really thankful for my husband and how much he provides for our family because he is constantly on the road. I have an office that I adore so I get a lot done there. What could be better?
If you’re still curious about me and my blogging experiences you can check out these posts. They may help you find what you’re looking for.
25 Things About Me
10 Facts About The Person Behind The Blog