I have been blogging now for over two years and I get asked some questions over and over. I thought it would be fun to answer some of your FAQ in one place. I didn’t know a lot about blogging when I first started. You have to admit it’s not a job that a lot of people really understand so I can relate to people being curious about it.
- How do you keep your white furniture nice with pets and kids? Honestly, when my kids were younger I had darker leather furniture that cleaned up very easily. We don’t eat in the room with white furniture. My kids are old enough now that they know how to take care of the furniture which is nice. However, there are so many options these days with slipcovers you can wash and wonderful fabrics. I think you just have to do your research and be knowledgeable about what you’re buying and for what purpose.
- What camera do you use? I use the Canon Rebel T5I. The very first DSLR I had was a Nikon D60. My son used to play travel baseball and my daughter used to cheer and I took hundreds and hundreds of pictures each weekend of their sports. That camera was very good with the long range lens. I really love my canon for my indoor blogging shots. I have several different lenses that I use according to what project I’m shooting.
- You were a reading specialist. How did you become an interior design blogger? This is the biggest question I get. I guess because the two seem so different. But they are both very creative jobs. I loved teaching and I was quite good at it. I had a Master’s Degree in Reading and taught the lowest performing first grade readers in a program called Reading Recovery. I loved my job. Once my second child was born I only worked one year and that was it for me. I knew I wanted to stay home with my children. But that first year was a hard transition for me at home. The stay at home mom role didn’t just happen easily for me. There was an adjustment period, but I never looked back. When my kids were both in school I enjoyed volunteering at their schools. Then when my son was 10 and daughter was 13, I even tutored SOL students for about 3 years. However, I just didn’t feel this was right for me. Something was missing. I started doing little projects around the house and practicing my photography and finally I merged the two together and decided to start Yours Truly Jenn. I loved it. It was the creative piece that I didn’t even know was missing.
- Where did you get your animal print chairs from in your living room? This room took me 8 months to pull together and the chairs and coffee table were the hardest pieces to find. The chairs came from Horchow. You can find similar ones here. I love them so much. Between the animal print and the leather they really bring a masculine element to the room. If you missed my fall room tour you can check it out here.
- Do you like working from home? People that know me really well know I can’t stand traffic or driving. I hate driving at night too. Skipping a commute is amazing. Whenever I’m out during rush hour I’m really thankful for my husband and how much he provides for our family because he is constantly on the road. I have an office that I adore so I get a lot done there. What could be better?
If you’re still curious about me and my blogging experiences you can check out these posts. They may help you find what you’re looking for.
25 Things About Me
10 Facts About The Person Behind The Blog
There are so many things you don’t see on my blog when you stop by to read my posts. Of course you stop in to see nicely edited pictures of my home tours, parties, and decorating ideas. However, no one has a house that is magazine ready. There are kids living in my home. Two messy teens to be exact. We are a family of four that act like any other family. Today I’m revealing some facts about me that you may not know.
The Person Behind the Blog
- I am not good at doing laundry. I don’t mind doing the laundry or even folding it for that matter. Then the clean laundry just sits in piles in baskets or on the kitchen table. The kids just grab their stuff from there and I really don’t enforce that they take it to their rooms. Ugh laundry!!!! We are always clean and ironed, but usually not put away. If you come to my house you will see clean laundry sitting around.
- I go to Target almost every weekday. It is really sad and embarrassing for my kids when we go in there and all the workers speak to me by name. It’s just so easy for me to stop in after dropping my son off at school. It is a mile from my house. I don’t like carrying a lot of drinks at one time so I will get what we need and then go back the next day and get more. My husband drinks A LOT of drinks.
- I have help with the weekly cleaning of my home. Those of you who are doing it all, That is amazing. I will admit I can not do it all myself. I love having help. Not only is my housekeeper amazing and keep things just right in our house, she loves us like we are family. This works for our family. Whatever is working for your family, keep doing it. We love to have the weekends to spend quality time together and this helps us do just that.
- Yes, I have a pink office. I love working in my office, It makes me so happy. I have all my stuff in there. It is really a guest room, but I have my desk and materials in there and I call it my office. If you have your own work space you can call your own you know how special that is. Plus, I love if I’m working on a project I can leave all my stuff out and not have to clean everything up at the end of the day.
- I am obsessed with keeping the kitchen countertops clean. I don’t like any piles on the counters. I also have a two tone kitchen. I have one very forgiving counter and one solid one that is horrible to keep clean. We moved into this home when it was 2 years old. I would have never picked this myself. It shows every imperfection. If you even touch it, it will leave fingerprints. So I battle the counters all day.
- I listen to music when I write. I always have a playlist going when I prepare my posts. Of course it is different from the vibe of the one I use for working out. It is uplifting, more of a slower paced playlist for writing. Calm music helps me stay focused while writing. I have no musical talent, but it has always been a passion of mine.
- My teacup Maltese Cupi is always with me when I’m working. She would prefer that I work on my bed so she could curl up on my neck. Yes, I said my neck. Weird I know, but she only weighs five pounds. Plus she is like a little built in scarf for me. If I’m in my office she lays in the sun so she is in the room with me. She is the best employee ever.
- I keep my house very cold year round. My family actually says we could hang meat in our house. I don’t believe that, but when people come over they do reach for the blankets. I have blankets everywhere in my house. I love it cold, but I love snuggling up in the blankets too.
- I work on a computer screen that is completely cracked. My son accidentally stepped on my computer and I have never had it fixed. I’m kind of used to it now. I just ignore it. I even travel with it and people look at me weird, but I say until I can’t see the screen anymore this will do just fine.
- I LOVE blogging. It is exactly what I’m supposed to be doing. Writing about decorating and entertaining makes me energized. I don’t think of it as work. I had been looking for a creative outlet and this fills that void. I’m getting better at the business side of blogging, but I still need help with that and that’s ok.
I hope you learned a little bit more about me and some of my quirks. For more info about me check out My Favorite Books of All Time, 25 Facts About Me, and How I Feel about turning 40. It’s important that you know who is writing the blog. I like doing posts like this every once in a while so you get to know the real me. Tell me a cool fact about you. I love learning about my readers. Lets see how many comments we can get.