The whole month of December makes me happy. The songs, the food, the decorations, all make it feel like the holiday. There are several things I think of when I’m pulling out my Christmas boxes that I know I just have to include or it won’t feel like Christmas. Of course, traditions are sprinkled throughout the month as well, but here are a couple of my favorite Christmas things.
1. Garland– I have to have garland on my staircase. We have a 2 story living room and a large staircase so I have a lot of railing that needs garland. When I first moved into our current home, I could only afford upgrading the garland that year because I had so much to replace. I use the 9′ classic garland from Frontgate with pre-lit lights. It is still going strong after 6 years. It looks just as good as the day I took it out of the box. I also have it around the front door outside of our home.
2. lights– There is something special about the magic of Christmas lights. Literally, as soon as we wake up my husband turns on the lights and he doesn’t turn them off until we go to bed. It is so fun to see what your neighbors do outside their homes as well.
3. Food– I don’t think of Christmas as having one type of traditional food except for cookies for Santa. However, I know I’m going to eat a ton of it by New Years. Going to holiday parties and being around family just makes you want to be eat and drink and be festive at gatherings.
4. Christmas Cards– I can’t wait to get the mail in December. I keep all the photo cards and cut them down to size and put them in the little picture book albums. We love to look at the old ones and see how all our friends have grown and changed over the years. The kids especially get a kick out of how different they look.
5. Wreaths– I have a special wreath that hangs midway up my 2 story fireplace that I just love. It’s red and chartreuse green. It has tons of glitter and sparkle and it is definitely something you can see from the front door when you enter the house. This is one of the first things I purchased when we found out we were moving to this house 6 years ago. I was so excited about decorating it for Christmas. I tend to change my themes each year, but the main living space is always traditional red and chartreuse green.
6. Presents– I LOVE GIVING GIFTS. I love buying gifts for people way more then I enjoy receiving gifts. I pride myself on trying to give thoughtful gifts to people that I really think they will like. I spend a lot of time shopping each year and I carefully select gifts and wrapping paper to go along with my tree themes as well. I have it all worked out by family parties we will attend. That way, I know which gifts go to what party and I wrap them accordingly. It makes it a lot easier on me when I’m rushing around party day trying to get ready.
7. Candles– Lighting is such a big deal during the holiday. Not only does it give off such a nice ambiance the smell can actually make memories.
8. Trees– Decorating with Christmas trees is my favorite part of Christmas. I had to give up real trees many years ago because my husband is allergic, but I’m so used to artificial now I can’t imagine having to wait so long to put up a real tree.
9. Mistletoe– This is just plain fun. I Have this amazing mistletoe crystal that my MIL gave me and I always hang it in the first entry way of my home. I love the tradition behind this little green plant.
10. Family– My family is what makes Christmas special to me. Spending time with them over the break is the best part. I love baking with them, watching movies and just being able to have some down time. I love watching them open their presents on Christmas morning. Making them happy makes me happy.
What kinds of things make your Christmas holiday special? What says Christmas to you? Are there certain things that you have to have present before it can really be Christmas?